I packed faster than expected so I have time to write me weekly post. This week we continued working south of Trench 12 in the vestibule. We finished the first half of the trench on Monday cleaning up all the different cuts and floor surfaces, so we moved to the second half which we finished in 2 days, a few days ahead of the Italians schedule.
We were cleaning off more collapsed wall debris and found the other half of the floor that had been split by the vestibule wall. We also found more blocks from the earlier phase of the house that had not been robbed out (in past years the dig has found a lot of trenches where the blocks go but no blocks themselves, so this was really cool.
After we finished all this, the Italians had us backfill old trenches with 3 dirt piles that were on site. Although I only helped with 2nd part of this since I was digging through the fill of old 1960’s trenches in which you find a lot of weird looking glass vials and not much archaeological items. Although, we did uncover the blocks that Dr. Sartorio had written about in her report.
And that wraps up my time at the Villa of Maxentius, we finished for the most part in 2 weeks what they expected to take 4 weeks which goes to show you can never plan perfectly what happens on an archaeological excavation.
Today I am off to Siena and Vescovado di Murlo and my other excavation.
Ciao for now.